Sunday, January 22, 2012

Inspiration 2012

Happy New Year! I wish everyone a joyous 2012.  Mine, so far, has started out with a bang.  Pun intended!  Last week I was accidentally hit by a skier, so I have been pretty busy healing during this time.  My friend loaned me her book, Farmer Jane~Women Changing the Way We Eat, by Temra Costa, which I intend on finishing by the end of this week.

This book illustrates a number of women: farmer, activist, author, political figure, seed saver, world traveler, filmmaker, the impressive list goes on and on an all in the name of food rights.  These women are the pioneers and leaders in bringing back our basic freedoms within democracy that every human has the potential to have wholesome food. 

I like this book because at the end of each chapter it breaks down various actions as to what the reader can do to participate as an Eater, a Farmer, or a Food Business Owner.  It empowers everyone.  I guess I really like that they call the Consumer...the Eater.  That is all of us.  That means we ALL have the power to change the food systems, government corruption, and the way we access food.

In the words of Joel Salatin, "We can change the world one meal at a time."

Over the weekend the Nevada County sustainable farming conference was held in Grass Valley.  Because of the snowstorm and the physical condition of my body, I was not able to attend, however, I have watched many many videos for inspiration.  Here is just a short clip from the speaker whom I wish to see one day.  His passion for the land is like non other.

This week I went to a presentation that a gal in our town shared.  She has been on a 6 month hiatus learning about food, from grower to government.  Her blog is www.foodlust.net.  She is learning a lot, and is super fired up.  So much so, that she has helped me get off the couch during my healing process, to get going on "planting the seeds of intention" for round two: Summer 2012!  So thank you Suzie.

This winter I am planning on figuring out succession cycles, transplanting, and utilizing all the space that I do have.  This includes cutting down on the medicinal herbs and upping the vegetable crop production.  I hope to see Eliot Coleman on Feb. 11 in Reno for further inspiration and understanding.

That's all for now.  Everyday brings a new opportunity to learn.  Today I am reminded that sometimes we choose the subject and other times the universe chooses it for you.  Be present and gain what you can from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment