Saturday, December 24, 2011

Reflections


2011 was truly a year of growth.  Lots of small successes and lots of humbling.  After going to my last small farm workshop for the year in Fallon, NV,  I feel re-inspired to grow upon the strengths of what worked and learn from what didn't to turn it into a success next year.

I wish I would have known to do this last year, but I know now.  These are aspects to remember and good points to keep in mind to help stay focused.

#1.  GOAL:  My goal is simply to sustainably grow and sell produce in a Market Garden at elevation.
DID I ACHIEVE THIS GOAL THIS YEAR?  Yes and No.  I grew a healthy food in a Market Garden at elevation, but not in a sustainable way.  My time wasn't accounted for, lots of garden space wasted, rotations were not accurate, and lots of mistakes, which are to be expected during the first year.  I did sell at Farmer's Markets and New Moon Natural Foods.    GOAL provides CLARITY so stay FOCUSED.

#2.  VISION: (Long-term focus.) To run a small sustainable farm using better than organically certified practices, selling my produce at a fair price, and teaching others in an informal way.

#3.  MISSION:  BIJA Gardens offers high quality market crops with altitude!

#4  CORE VALUES:  Sustainable
                                     Personal
                                     High Quality
                                     Passionate
                                     Clean
                                     Fresh
                                     Delicious
                                     Local

#5  MARKETING:  My goal is to produce such a high quality tasty food that it will sell itself effortlessly.


#6  COMPETITORS:  Know the competitor better than your allies.  Friendly competition ends up being good for everyone.  Who are my competitors? I tried to not have any competition this year because I didn't want to step on any toes, and felt a need to respect my mentors.  Next year I will, however, jump into the ring and grow some of the same products.  It will  all sell and people will appreciate the products because of the fact that they are local and taste better than something grown in SoCal or Mexico.  I know my competitors very well because they are my mentors and my friends.

#7  PRODUCT:  What did I grow this year?  Wild Baby Arugula
                                                                            Cilantro
                                                                            Mint
                                                                            Quinoa Greens
                                                                            Carrots
                                                                            Medicinal Herbs
                                                                            Sunflowers
                                                                            Chamomile 
quinoa will stay unwashed for now
What will I grow next year?  Same, but more and a few more hot crops that are not found as of right now at the market.      

#8  PLACEMENT:
Where can people find BIJA Gardens?  New Moon Natural Foods & Truckee Thursdays Market

#9  BRAND:  Mountain Grown~Pesticide Free~Local

#10  WHY AM I DOING THIS?  I created BIJA Gardens to become part of the local and global food movement.  I want to practice what I believe and to do what I can, with what I have, from where I am, and to show people that it is possible to grow food at altitude with some creativity.

SOME OTHER CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR....

*Size  (For next year~6, 3x30' beds under a hoop house; 3, 4x6' beds, 2 small greenhouses)
*Labor Costs, what are they?  Are other activities compromised? Family time?  Do you have support from family i.e. financial help if it comes to that?
*Be prepared for disaster.
*Do you have another job for additional income?
*Have a plan for success and growth.
*Do you have money going into this year to get back on your feet for year two?

Information from www.girlfarm.org


****Are you still having fun???*****

No comments:

Post a Comment