Monday, September 19, 2011

Succession Planting

Gently place stalks so there is no overlapping
Before getting into Succession Planting, I wanted to show pictures of the dry house since the last post.
Quinoa placed on clothesline~with enough room to breath
original layout~these will dry fine~just refrain from overlapping
These pictures show the correct way to layout plants to let them dry.  This way will take at least a few weeks.  Make sure the plants are in an airy space that is out of the sun.  Clothesline, shelving, and a tarp are what's in my dry house.  This format seems to working nicely for a first timer.

Meanwhile, as the quinoa dries...what is succession planting all about?

Succession Planting is planting seeds in intervals of a week or two.  The concept isn't that hard, but one must allow space to be left, so there is ability to plant all the time.  I never left enough room for the next round of seeds.  Ten beds doesn't quite cover it for three markets.  Divide those in half, and there are 5.  Besides this concept, add in the astrological perspective, and I really outdid myself for the first year.  I started harvesting on the harvest days as posted in my calender, but in the end, I ended up harvesting cilantro and arugula on off days.  (Minus the quinoa~intuition, rain, and Kevin all aided in the harvesting of that crop:) If I had more room, I would be able to grow and sell more.  This is something that I will work towards next year.

Next year I also intend on keeping a better planting calender, so that I have more accurate records of hours spent watering, seeding, harvesting, etc. and overall time put into this project.  All of this, plus the cost of seeds, bags, etc. will aid in figuring out a sustainable price for my goods. 

Well, that's all for now, thanks for reading~ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment