Friday, July 8, 2011

In the Heart

Bike commute to Truckee River Sanctuary
It has only been about 5  weeks since it last snowed, which now makes it almost the heart of summer.  Life has become filled with 4:30 a.m. starts, harvest days, markets, and late evening watering schedules.   The wildflowers  are in full bloom here in Truckee, while up high, snow still melts away.  Time on the computer is limited to a weekly reminder for a market and community thank you's. 
Kiva in full bloom
Keeping with the intention of this sight, here are some of the trials and tribulations that I have been experiencing:

*Time:  Harvest days for this summer are Monday & Wednesday early mornings, preferably between 6:30 and 9:30 before the sun gets too hot.  In week 2 of the market, I harvested very early Thursday morning before the Tahoe market~rushed through the market~rushed home~packed the arugula and cilantro~rushed to the next market~sold at the market~rushed to take down~rushed out the the gardens to water~came home and promptly collapsed so I could go to work again at 8:30 a.m. at the Resort.  As we passed week 4, scheduling has gotten a tad easier mostly in large part to my partner, Kevin, who has jumped in to help watering in the mornings and evenings.  He is my saving grace.

*Harvest:  What I have realized is that it is important to have an idea of how much of each item to bring along to each market.  There is a certain population and vibe that each market produces.  Tuesday mornings are cilantro lovers...I wasn't bringing anything to Tues. a.m. market in large part to politics of the market organization, but those in charge are lifting their spirits as the summer progresses, so I am starting to bring cilantro.  They love the cilantro!  Thursday mornings are mint lovers.  So I will now bring the mint!  Thursday evenings are my time to introduce myself and the crops, so I bring it all.  The trick is to bring enough that you won't sell out, but you won't have too much leftover.

*Politics:  There is a silent game that happens that if you follow the rules (if you can figure them out!) you will be able to figure out that they are more guidelines and you just have to wait for someone to say, "o.k. go ahead."  This part doesn't make much sense to me because I don't fully understand why things are run the way they are.  This is an area I have to get better acquainted with in the winter when life isn't so insane.

*Help:  Get over the bashfulness and ask for it.  There is too much to do with only 2 sets of hands.  **Thank you Kevin & Sarah** 

*Competition:  Of all the lessons, this is one that I lost my cool. Without competition, though, no one would strive for higher goals.  AND hopefully we can coincide and communicate one day to work TOGETHER.

*Outlets:  My good friend happens to be the produce manager of New Moon Natural Foods.  I am lucky because he is giving me suggestions of different ways to distribute my product.  He is also purchasing my market goods that I don't sell.  I am so proud to be a supplier of my community by way of my home store.  It is great to have such support during this first summer.

*Communication:  Always important in every relationship!

*Heart & Soul:  You have to live it to give it.  To feel the connection and spirit of the plants, I plant, eat, and enjoy them myself~ try preparing them in different ways, and then share these experiences with the public.  For example:  Quinoa greens are AMAZING  sauteed with some good olive oil and a little salt and pepper.  The essence of the plant comes through in a fresh mild nutty flavor that is to love love love!
Beautiful Bed of Cilantro
Quinoa leafy greens are so delicious!  Flash fry and eat!
Right: Arugula & Cilantro   Left: New Quinoa Beds
More pictures to come of my backyard.  It is turning into a square foot homestead by the week!  Kevin built me a new raised bed last week for all my nursery plants.  Sore, sleep deprived, and in love with this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment