Friday, June 24, 2011

to the market we go!

Mom & Dad Lyons help with the chores
Last week my parents came into town from Wisconsin.  When we decided on the date, I didn't realize that my first market would be during their visit!  I am really glad that they were here because they (and Kevin, too) helped me so much.  As you can see from this picture the plants are growing and it is time to start harvesting arugula and almost time for the cilantro.  This next week I will also thin out the quinoa to make room for the seed stalk.  


Truckee Thursdays is such a fun community event!  Food, farmers, artisans, music, and fun loving folks crowd downtown to chat, see friends, and just be out in the warm summer weather.  After being cooped up all winter, we are all ready to be out and about!  I'm finding that the BIJA Garden stand is a great outlet for people to come and just share their own experiences about mountain gardening.  Also, by way of selling, my very good friends are keeping my prices in check to make sure I am charging what the product is worth.  I had to laugh this week when I introduced the baby arugula and they, along with another vendor, told me I had to raise my prices.  (My vendor friend reminded me of all the work and hours spent to get to the end result of the product)  It is going to take a little bit to get used to charging like that.  I did as they said, though, and sold out of arugula!  Next week I am going to consult them before making my signs!  I am fortunate to have friends like these.

Tuesday marked the summer solstice.  It was great to be out in the beds just weeding for a few hours and working in the backyard.   Summer is here, and yet I feel as if I don't have enough hours in my day to get it all done...even when they start at 430 a.m.

I will post pictures from the market soon~until then here's just a couple of shots of the babies:
worm's eye view~ quinoa
wild arugula

bird's eye view~quinoa
Cilantro getting taller...I estimate 1 more week til harvest.
Well, I'm going to stop here for the night.  My eyes can't stay open, so I'll post more picture next time.  Thanks for reading and happy summertime!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment